Friday, April 2, 2010

Hey Kids, It's Not About a Bunny



Hey kids, it's not about a bunny...no Peter Cottontail hopping down the bunny trail...no pound of chocolate in the shape of a bunny...no Easter eggs...that's not what Easter is about. A bunny was not nailed to a cross to die for us. At Easter and at Christmas I am amazed that people who do not believe in Jesus get all excited and celebrate. I asked a friend at Christmas time (who happens to be a Atheist) "If you do not believe in Jesus, what are you celebrating? Why are you buying gifts?". Now that it is Easter, many non-believers rush out to buy an Easter basket for little Tommy and tell them the Easter Bunny is coming!!! I guess this is another example of worshiping an idol (materialism) than God.

I hope they are also telling their children that Easter is the time that Jesus died on the cross providing a way for our sinful nature to be reconciled to God. And that the Holy Spirit is with us today. I hope they tell them that all believers will have eternal life and that Jesus is coming back, I hope they tell them why there is an Easter and I hope they tell them the true reason for Easter.

I hope they open a Bible and read for the first time, or re-read after a very long time the recount of the death of Jesus, what He endured, the promises we have and why we celebrate Easter. Here is some of Scripture I have reflected on with friends today.

“I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!”

Galatians 2: 20-21

“And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them triumphing over them by the cross.”

Colossians 2:15

Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples off all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teach them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely, I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

Matthew 28: 18-20

As we reflect on the events of today and Resurrection Sunday, I wanted to wish you a joyous weekend. Take time to share the gospel with others and be thankful for the greatest gift we will ever receive.

No comments:

Post a Comment