Monday, April 5, 2010

Downpour by James MacDonald



In his book, James Macdonald writes, “Like me, maybe you’ve experienced some parched days in your relationship with God. Maybe you’ve had seasons where time alone with God was empty and dry. You – yes you-can have a fresh downpour of God’s grace and mercy upon your life. The hands that hold this book can feel a fresh surge of energy to labor for our King. The eyes that see these pages can gaze in renewed wonder and awe upon the God who loves you. The heart beating within your chest this moment can pulse with renewed joy given by God in response to the choices you make and the actions you take. Honest! God is not reluctant; He is ready and willing.”

One of the privileges I have at the church I am a member of, is to serve as an usher at the evening service. I enjoy serving God and I enjoy the ability to meet the people attending the service. One of the persons I speak to on a regular basis always asks me “What have you read this week?” and I have began sharing some of my books for her to read. I always get the question “What did you think about this book…or can you recommend a book for a friend about…” A few Sunday’s back she arrived a little early and asked me what I thought of a book and I answered “It really depends on where a person is at in their walk with God on if they will think it is a good book or not.” She thought about it for a moment, and said “You know you are right, I never thought it that way.”

I always find it hard to recommend books, because a book that may have a dramatic impact on one person may or may not be deep enough for another person. Or it may be too deep and the person may not be ready for it. When recommending a book to someone I have been trying to give an overview of the book, the topics and if it was an “easy” or “difficult” read. With that in mind, last week I read Jame’s MacDonald’s book Downpour - He Will Come To Us Like The Rain – God’s Best When you Need Him The Most.

If your walk seems stagnate or you know someone who has drifted away from Christ, or maybe you know someone who indicates they are a believer but really do not feel the Holy Spirit in them or feel they do not have a "real" relationship with God, then this book may be a good recommendation for them.

The book is written as many of Jame’s MacDonald’s other books are – biblically sound and written in a very easy, almost conversational, type writing. Those who read a lot and those who do not will find this book very easy to understand and be able to put into practice many of the topics covered.

The book covers personal revival, true repentance, identifying things we may need help with, and how do we know the Holy Spirit has filled us? One of the interesting aspects of this book is Pictures of Personal Revival From History – a one page recount of major personal revivals in each chapter. At the end of each chapter you will find Activate, Elevate, and Replicate sections to help the reader look deeper inside themselves.

If you are “dry” spiritually “Downpour” may be the book for you. I felt it was time well spent.

James MacDonald is the founding and senior pastor for Harvest Bible Church in the northwest suburbs of Chicago. He is also the Bible teacher on Walk in the Word, heard daily on over 650 radio stations across North America, seeking to “ignite passion in the people of God through the proclamation of truth.” Previous books by Dr. MacDonald include Gripped by the Greatness of God, God Wrote A Book, Lord Change My Attitude (Before It’s Too Late), and I Really Want To Change …So Help Me God.

No comments:

Post a Comment